Monday, February 8, 2010

RIP Hypo!

After getting back from our grandpa's today, Daniel noticed that Hypo! had disappeared from his tank... Mum was quick to suspect Leo, but I knew our cat just didn't have the heart (or physical skills needed) to kill a fighting fish. Also, he'd have to be a genius to get onto the coffee side table, take off the lid, eat the fish and replace the lid without leaving a single bit of fur or drop of water.
I had a sick feeling that maybe Hypo! had jumped out of the small gap out the back of the tank, and fallen down the back of the table. As I moved his tank...there was Hypo!...right underneath it. Not moving and surrounded by wet, black sludge. And then he twitched. We put him back into the water and fed him. He was pretty weak. Apparently Siamese Fighting Fish have an organ that allows them to breathe atmospheric air, but we didn't know how long Hypo! had been out. It could've been anywhere from the time we left the house to go to school.
Hypo! died at approximately 8.30pm, 8th February 2010.

I never knew Siamese fighting fish jumped. I thought it was just Hypo! being...well, hypo. For all of you who own Betta fish, they do jump, and you should make sure they can't jump out of their tanks so this doesn't happen again.

RIP Hypo!
I believe there is a reason for all things happening, and maybe God let this little fish die to teach us a lesson, to be more careful of looking after them in the future, or perhaps something else I haven't figured out yet. Hypo!'s death is small and insignificant to you, but remember that cute, tiny, funny, blue, hyper fish for a moment, and be nice to my brother if you see him, because he's kind of upset.

I apologize for this depressing post, but I thought it might be a bit helpful, and to remind all SFF owners to keep their tanks safe! I'm feeling a little sad right now, too... listening to Owl City. Like always, he makes me feel just that little bit happier and carefree.

1 comment: