Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ruling margins

For a place where we're (HOMOPHONE!... Wow. What a funny word) supposed to be learning things, we waste a surprising amount of time on useless, brainkilling rituals and activities. Let me list some of them:
1. Uniform. As facebook so kindly states - we attend school for an education not a uniform lecture.
2. Greetings: "Good morning class!"
(sing song voices) "Good MORNing Mrs Smith"
Multiply this by the seven or so classes you have a day, then by five days a week, and forty odd weeks a year... (you do the math).
I think teachers must feel insulted by this. Isn't it better to have no greeting at all, than an un-heartfelt, sarcastic automatic reaction from students?
3. Lateness. Okay, so I can understand fifteen minutes... but seriously, three minutes after the bell? That's harsh. You know, I think they're just cranky and in the mood to bust someone.
The list infinitely goes on, however I kindly recognize that half of my readers probably read my blog after school, in which rambling on about school would do nothing to lift their dimly down trodded rained-on spirits.

Just one more thing. MARGINS. You know, those red lines you have to rule on exercise books? Yeah, the other day I realized how useless they are. For those of you who have been mercifully blessed enough not to know what margins are, let me just corrupt your minds:
(Insert dramatic music and loud gasp)
I think ruling them up is a statement, just teacher enforcing tradition. Because in the end, what on earth is the point of a margin? An ugly red line across your page. It wastes paper and pen ink. I mean, think of all the other better things we could be doing with pen ink. Like, grafitiing (grafitying?) Wait, that's a different word. Yeah, I just discovered that I can't spell the verb grafiti without writing "gratifying". Okay. Like, GRAFITI-ing. Ha ha ha. Only kidding.
... Why do I just feel like the joke was lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment